Malden Catholic is proud to announce that 3 members of the Class of 2019 - Andrew Scacchi, James Mawn Jr., and Harrison Jumper (L-R in photo above) - have been named Commended Students in the National Merit Scholarship Program. A Letter of Commendation from Malden Catholic and the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), which conducts the program, will be presented by Principal Bro. Thomas Puccio, C.F.X. to these scholastically talented seniors.
About 34,000 Commended students throughout the nation were recognized this year for their exceptional academic promise. Commended students place among the top 50,000 scorers of more than 1.6 million students who entered the competition by taking the 2017 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT).
National Merit-recognized Malden Catholic graduates of the past four years are currently pursuing degrees at prestigious four-year colleges including:
- Boston College (Nicholas Guerriero '18)
- Boston University (Stephen Doucette '15)
- The College of the Holy Cross (John Graf '16)
- Columbia University (Michael Ssentongo '17)
- Cornell University (Christopher Schwarze '17)
- Georgetown University (Andrew Ward '15)
- Harvard University (Joseph Valente '15, Jack Stockless '15, Colin Harvey '16, Cameron Zahner '16)
- Northeastern University (George Bidgood '18, Nguyen Le '18)
Said a spokesperson for the NMSC, “These students represent a valuable national resource; recognizing their accomplishments, as well as the key role their schools play in their academic development, is vital to the advancement of educational excellence in our nation. We hope that this recognition will help broaden their educational opportunities and encourage them as they continue their pursuit of academic success.”
Congratulations to Andrew, James, and Harrison!
- Homepage News