The purpose of the Department of Foreign Languages is to develop the students' ability to comprehend and communicate effectively in the three languages that we offer: Spanish, Chinese and Latin. Proficiency in the written, oral, aural, and reading dimensions of the target languages are combined with an awareness of and an appreciation for the culture of the countries in which they are spoken.
The department's objectives include:
- The conceptual and practical simulation of the grammatical structures indigenous to the language
- The development of students' ability to comprehend the written word of the language
- The development of the students' ability to express themselves in writing by means of the proper use of grammar and the application of idiomatic expressions of the language
- The development of students' ability to speak and understand the spoken language
- The development of vocabulary necessary to communicate in the language on a practical as well as an intellectual level
In striving to achieve these objectives, the members of the Foreign Language Department endeavor continually to develop a fundamental awareness of the cultural traditions from which the languages emerge.
By the time a student has completed four years of language study, we believe that he will have acquired a strong level of proficiency in the second language.
The Foreign Language Department offers courses at four levels: Advanced Placement, Honors, Accelerated and College Preparatory. Incoming freshmen are required to take a departmental placement exam and to complete a language survey questionnaire in the spring prior to their initial matriculation. Student placement in subsequent years is determined by student ability and achievement.
Realizing that students have diverse learning needs, we teach with awareness of different modalities: visual, auditory, and kinesthetic.
Teachers promote and encourage language development and cultural exposure by encouraging attendance at Language Club meetings, where students may meet guest speakers, experience authentic foods, and enjoy movies and games in the target language.