History of MC
In 1932, the Right Reverend Richard Neagle, Pastor of Immaculate Conception Parish of Malden and Medford, wrote to Brother Osmund, C.F.X., Provincial of the Xaverian Brothers, requesting Brothers to teach in the new Boys' Catholic High School he was establishing to complement the work already begun by the School Sisters of Notre Dame in the grammar school and Girls' High School. In response to this request, two first year classes were opened by founding Principal, Brother Gilbert, assisted by Brother Baptist, and in 1936, the first commencement exercises were held. Over a thirty-five year period Boys' Catholic High School (or "Malden Catholic" as it was called) established a reputation for excellence in academics and athletics. The success of the small school on Highland Avenue can be attributed the dedication of the Xaverian Brothers and the lay teachers, the support of loving and sacrificing parents, and the efforts of the students themselves. When the parish school closed its doors in 1968, its Principal, Brother Robertus, was the seventh successor of Brother Gilbert.
Malden Catholic was re-dedicated in response to a request by Richard Cardinal Cushing, Archbishop of Boston, that the Xaverian Brothers establish this larger, regional high school to expand the mission that the Brothers had begun in 1932. On August 22, 1968, the new Malden Catholic High School, located at its present site on Crystal Street, was opened by the Xaverian Brothers of the St. Joseph Province. This new facility with thirty classrooms, a gymnasium, auditorium, cafeteria, three science laboratories, and two computer rooms provides for excellence in a college preparatory curriculum.
Several improvements to the school's athletic facilities have been made in recent years. The Albert Coccoluto Weight Training Facility was dedicated in 2000. The Gerard and Marilyn Doherty Gymnasium was rededicated in 2001. In 2003, the famous Brother Gilbert Memorial Stadium and the Brother Myles McManus Track was totally reconstructed, and the state-of-the-art field was dedicated to the memory of alumnus James F. Donovan '37. In 2006, the school received a new, identifiable "face" as the front entrance, lobby and dining hall were renovated to improve the student experience.
In January, 1999, Malden Catholic was named as one of the "Outstanding American High Schools"
by U.S. News & World Report. In 2006, MC was named as the only high school in the state of Massachusetts to the 2006 Catholic HS Honor Roll.
List of Malden Catholic HeadmastersBrother Gilbert, C.F.X., 1932-1938
Brother Leonard Francis, C.F.X., 1938-1941
Brother Charles, C.F.X., 1941-1947
Brother John Edward, C.F.X., 1947-1953
Brother Lambert, C.F.X., 1953-1956
Brother Charles Borromeo, C.F.X., 1956-1959
Brother Joseph, C.F.X., 1959-1965
Brother Robertus Duffy, C.F.X., 1965-1977
Brother Frederick R. Codair, C.F.X., 1977-1980
Brother Thomas C. Mulloy, C.F.X., 1980-1986
Brother Robert J. Sullivan, C.F.X., 1986-1992
Brother Richard C. Cook, C.F.X., 1992-1999
Brother Robert J. Green, C.F.X., 1999-2005
Mr. Thomas Arria, 2005-2008
Brother Thomas Puccio, C.F.X., 2008-2009
Mr. Edward Tyrrell, 2009- 2014Mr. Thomas J. Doherty III, 2014-present